Prior to joining WTJ, William, better known as Bill, practiced with several international and regional law firms over the course of his twenty-two-year legal career. Most recently, he was the Chief Legal Officer for a California-based human resource consulting company, providing advice and counseling to employers navigating California’s complex employment law landscape. Bill’s practice focuses on employment counseling and litigation. His approach to counseling employers is to blend the legal and practical aspects of the employment relationship, assisting clients in making informed decisions to maintain legal compliance and mitigate litigation risk in all aspects of the employment lifecycle. He has a breadth of experience in conducting workplace investigations and providing legally mandated training on the prevention of harassment in the workplace. In addition to counseling, Bill has extensive employment litigation experience at the federal, state and administrative levels on issues involving harassment, discrimination, retaliation, failure to accommodate, wage and hour, and PAGA, including, defending employee class actions at the state and federal levels.
Outside of work, Bill enjoys spending time with family and friends, travel, and watching soccer (the Beautiful Game). He is an avid skier (snow and water) and a passable golfer. Bill has also proudly served on the board of directors for the Central California Food Bank since 2003, and continues to be passionate about ending hunger in the Central Valley.
Bill specializes in employment counseling and litigation. In addition, Bill has extensive litigation and trial experience in areas of commercial litigation, business torts, unfair competition, and misappropriation of trade secrets. Bill is admitted to practice before all California State Courts, all Districts in the United States District Courts of California, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Honors & Awards
Bill was honored on the list of Northern California Super Lawyers for Employment Law, in addition to being named a Northern California Super Lawyers Rising Star.
Bill proudly serves on the Board of Directors for the Central California Food Bank, and has done so since 2003. He has served three terms as Board Chair, and currently chairs the Board Development Committee.
Bill is an active member of the California State Bar, and is specifically part of the California State Bar Employment Law Section. He is also a member of the Fresno County Bar Association and Fresno Chapter of the American Board of Trial Lawyers.
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1999 With Great Distinction, Order of the Coif, Traynor Honor Society; McGeorge Law Review, Staff Writer and Comment Editor
- California State University, Fresno, Bachelor of Arts, Liberal Studies, 1996
- Presenter at Central California SHRM, “Don’t Get Devoured by Wage and Hour”
- Co-Presenter at Fresno County Bar Association, “The Impact of Covid-19 and Related Legislation / Orders in the Workplace”
- Presenter, “2021 New Laws Impacting California Employers”
- Presenter, “2020 New Laws Impacting California Employers”
- Presenter at Central California SHRM, “Are Mary and Jane High?: What California Employers Need to Know About Marijuana in the Workplace